Relief for dog's ear infections (otitis)

Relief for dog's ear infections (otitis)

I talked about my dog Abby's ear infections (otitis), and that I was testing a home remedy. I'm happy to tell you the results are very good after using it for 2 months; her ears look and smell normal, and there hasn't been any itching and digging since I started the treatment.

First of all, if your dog's ears are badly infected, with open sores, I recommend you first treat them with a product I've used with good results called Zymox Otic available at Amazon.com for around $10. It contains 3 enzymes derived from milk products, and is highly effective against yeast and bacterial infections, completely safe with no side effects. It is a cleaner as well as a treatment, and is very soothing. As I said previously, Abby's ears were to the point that even antibiotics didn't work long term, and unfortunately neither did Zymox long term. It kept her comfortable, but if I didn't use it every few days, the itching would return. Get your dog's ears in good shape with Zymox, then try the following ear wash to keep the itchies at bay for good. The link to Amazon.com is at the right.

You will need the following ingredients: (If you can't find these locally, they are available at Amazon.com)
16 oz. rubbing alcohol
4 TBSP. Boric Acid
16 drops of Gentian Violet (1% is fine)
The boric acid and gentian violet are both antibacterial and antifungal agents. Just add the boric acid and gentian violet to the alcohol bottle. Then transfer a portion of it into a small squeeze bottle. (I used an empty antibiotic dropper) Then daily squeeze a few drops into the ear and massage. Just a word of warning, the gentian violet in the mixture will stain any surface, including the dog a light tinge of lavender. I used it daily for about 1 week, then went to every 3 days, then once a week, and now we go about 10 days between applications. My dog's ears look very healthy and there is no itching, something I thought Abby would never experience the rest of her life.

p.s. This is also effective for human's itching skin, like mosquito bites. I tried it and got relief instantly.



Comments

Popular Posts